Custody is a legal matter that is governed by Colorado Revised Statutes. It’s crucial that you understand how custody is determined. If you’re involved in a custody matter in Steamboat Springs or the surrounding areas, schedule a consultation with the divorce lawyers of Stahly Mehrtens LLC.
What Is Custody?
Custody for children is referred to in Colorado as the allotment of parenting time and responsibilities. Custody is an issue in many family law matters. However, it is most often an issue in divorce and in matters where unmarried parents are no longer together and want to legally establish a parenting plan along with child support.
The Court takes several factors into consideration when custody is an issue. Some of those factors include:
- The parent’s desires regarding parenting time and responsibilities
- The child’s desires if they are mature enough to express them according to the Court
- The child’s relationship and how they interact with each parent, their siblings (if any), and other family members
- How adjusted the child is to their school, home, and neighborhood
- The mental and physical health of the child
- The mental and physical health of each parent
What Types of Custody Are Available in Colorado?
Colorado does not use the terms that most people are familiar with– legal custody and physical custody. Instead, the terms “parenting time” and “parental responsibilities” are used.
- Parental responsibilities is what was once commonly referred to as legal custody. This may be awarded to only one parent or both parents.
- Parenting time refers to both physical custody and visitation. One parent may be the physical custodian; that is, they may be the parent with whom the child lives on a full-time basis. The other parent may receive parenting time less often. In some cases, the parents may have a more equal parenting time schedule.
What Is Steamboat Springs Child Support?
Child support is a payment made to help financially support the child. The parents have the opportunity to come to an agreement on what they believe is a fair child support payment. The other option is to go through the process of allowing the Court to set a child support payment. For both parents, it’s almost always better to work together to establish a child support payment.
Colorado Mediation and Custody
Mediation is a tool that is beneficial to custody matters. Parents can work together, along with their attorneys, to develop a parenting plan that addresses the issues within their matter. Issues include:
- Whether the parties will hold joint custody or whether one parent will hold primary custody and one will receive visitation
- Whether both parties will share parenting responsibilities and decision making
- The amount of child support to be paid each month
- Any other issues related to the parenting plan, such as daycare costs and education matters
With mediation, both parents can be assured that at least they get something that they want within the parenting plan instead of leaving everything up to the court.
Our Steamboat Springs Custody Lawyers Want To Help You
The Steamboat Springs family law lawyers of Stahly Mehrtens LLC understand the importance of custody matters and how they impact your family life. Schedule your consultation now.