Jared discovered passion for helping clients through family law issues in law school as a student-attorney in CU Law School's Family Law Clinic. After law school, Jared further built his knowledge and legal research and writing skills, as a family law judicial law clerk for several Colorado district court judges.
Since June 2018 when he finished his clerkship, Jared has only practiced family law and ran his own, solo practice for three and a half years until July 2022 when he came to Stahly Mehrtens LLC.
Jared chose Stahly Mehrtens LLC to leave the isolation of solo practice and work on an energetic team with exceptionally experienced and knowledgeable fellow family law attorneys and paralegal staff. Jared's co-worker's passion and energy regarding their work drives him as does the opportunity family law practice provides to help clients navigate challenging life situations.
Jared appreciates that no two days are the same in family law practice, and the intellectual challenge of it. Jared has assisted clients with issues involving family law's intersections with both criminal law and immigration law; pre-marital and marital agreements (in drafting and reviewing stages of such agreements, and also regarding issues related to enforcement of and challenging such agreements at divorce); difficult child custody issues across state lines and involving abuse; and complex property valuations in divorce.
When he is not at work Jared enjoys spending time with his family including his toddler niece and nephew, traveling, running, fly-fishing, reading for pleasure, and skiing.
- Family Law
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- University of Colorado School of Law, Boulder, Colorado
- J.D. - 2016
- Honors: Certificate in Juvenile and Family Law - Dec. 2016
- Stanford University, Stanford, California
- M.A. - 2011
- Major: Latin American Studies
- Colorado College, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- B.A. - 2006
- Major: History
- Colorado, 2017
- Brazilian Portuguese
- Colorado Bar Association 2017 to Present
- Colorado Bar Association Family Law Section 2017 to Present
- Successfully litigated a multi-day trial proving the other parent fabricated allegations of physical abuse, and obtained—for a client whose parenting time was restricted by the Court prior to my representing the client— more than 50% parenting time.
- Successfully litigated cases communicating with clients in Spanish.
- Successfully traced out in trial the source of a client’s inherited funds from present back to date of inheritance—through many years and between several financial accounts--proving the client’s separate property interest in the funds the client inherited without an expert witness.